5 Warning Signs It’s Time To Rewire Your Home

Faulty electrical wiring can not only damage your appliances; it can also cause fires. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 24,000 fires in 2019 resulted from an electrical malfunction.


Here we’ll share 5 warning signs that indicate it’s time to rewire a house:


1) Burning smell

One of the most apparent signs a house needs rewiring is a burning smell near an outlet or electrical appliance. Small sparks behind the wall are probably the cause, and it’s essential to stop using that outlet and contact SheWorks to examine it.


2) Flickering or dimming lights

Lights can dim or flicker if the bulb isn’t connected correctly. However, this can also be a sign of an overloaded circuit. If you’ve noticed this, especially when the wind blows, it’s probably time to rewire the house.



3) Discolored switchplates

Switchplates that suddenly change color are always a warning sign. This change typically indicates that the plastic and wiring connections are overheating, which can have severe consequences if left unattended.


4) Aluminum wiring

Popular during the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum wiring was less expensive than copper. The problem is that aluminum expands and contracts at high temperatures, deteriorating more quickly and causing numerous issues.


5) Electric shock

Another warning sign is if you experience minor electric shocks when plugging in an appliance. This could indicate problems with the grounding connection and shouldn’t be ignored. Plus, electric shocks, no matter how light they are, can potentially cause injury.


If you need a highly-reviewed, licensed electrician in the Phoenix Valley area, call SheWorks at 602-920-4257. We would love to hear from you!


4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All